ACL Reconstruction in India
- ACL Reconstruction Cost in India
ACL Reconstruction in India
Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) is a major ligament in the knee that serves as a connecting ligament between the femur and tibia. When it gets damaged or torn, an Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction surgery is conducted.
In the ACL reconstruction surgery, the ligament that has been damaged is removed and then replaced with a tendon that is mostly extracted from the patient’s knee or sometimes even from the deceased donor. This surgery is performed by an orthopedic surgeon who has earned expertise in surgical procedures associated with joints and bones.
Reasons of Getting a Torn ACL?
Mostly ACL injury is caused by excessive physical activities or by being involved in sports that specially put strain on the knees. Some of the most common reasons of acquiring damage to the ACL are –
- Suddenly changing the direction during running without halting.
- Incorrectly landing from a high jump.
- Receiving a strong hit directly on the knee.
- Suddenly stopping when the body is in motion.
Any Initial Treatment to Cure The Damaged ACL?
Well the answer is Yes! It is not always necessary to undergo a surgery for damaged ACL. If the ligament is not torn completely and the knee is still stable then an alternate cure is possible. The treatment in short form is called as “RICE” which stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.
The leg can be supported with the help of braces and the condition can be improved with the right use of physiotherapy and various combinations of exercises.
Who Needs an ACL Reconstruction Surgery?
No doubt that the alternate treatment is also quite effective but still there are some scenarios in which surgery is the only option to treat the damaged Anterior Cruciate Ligament.
- The person is a sportsman and wants to resume with the sports activities such as cutting, jumping or pivoting.
- If more than one ligament has been injured in the knee or the meniscus has been damaged.
- If the person is suffering with buckled knee even while performing casual activities.
How to Prepare Before Surgery and What Are The Restrictions?
Before a surgery is conducted, the patient undergoes various physical therapies that spans onto several weeks. The main goal of conducting physical therapies before the surgery is to reduce the damage to certain level in a sort that decreases pain and swelling and restores the normal motion of the knees. People who undergo a surgery with a completely damaged knee mostly fail to completely recover and gain full range of motion in the knee.
There are certain steps that the patient needs to follow at least two weeks before the surgery –
- First of all, if you are on any medications then do let your surgeon know about it.
- Intake of drugs like ibuprofen, aspirin and naproxen should be immediately stopped as it increases the risk of bleeding.
- The surgeon most probably advices you with certain medications that you need to take before few days of the surgery.
- You should also let the surgeon know about your complete medical history
Restrictions on the day of surgery are –
- The intake of water should be restricted at least 6 to 12 hours before the surgery.
- The consumption of medicines before the surgery should be done with a limited amount of water.
Process of ACL Reconstruction Surgery
ACL surgery is performed through outpatient procedure in which small incisions are made and the patient can go back home the very same day.
During the ACL reconstruction mostly general anesthesia is administered on the patient that does not cause any discomfort and the patient can feel relaxed during the surgery.
The surgery starts with removing the torn and damaged ligament and then it is replaced with a segment of tendon. The tissue that is used for replacement is called as graft and is extracted from the other knee of the patient or sometimes from the deceased donor. The surgeon prepares for the accurate placement of the grafted tissue by drilling tunnels or sockets in the thighbone and shinbone. Then the graft is fixed with the help of screws and some other types of fixation devices.
The recovery after the surgery is relatively quick. The patient is discharged from the hospital the very same day and further recovery process can be easily administered from home. The use of knee braces or crutches is important for stabilizing the knee movement and should be used for at least one to three weeks after the surgery. The overall recovery time after the surgery is 6 months, which can further vary according to how diligently the precautions and recommendations are followed.
If at any point of time the patient can observe swelling or pain then an ice pack can be used. In certain cases even pain medications are prescribed by the surgeons. Being involved in any sort of extreme sports or sports that can cause jerk on the knee right after the surgery are strictly prohibited. People who are having desk jobs can resume with their work in a week’s time of recovery.
Cost of ACL Reconstruction in India
The average cost of ACL Reconstruction in India ranges somewhere in between $2500 USD to $3500 USD.
Some time price varies, depending upon:
- Selection of hospital
- Surgeon fees
- Considered procedure
- The quality of graft
- Method of graft fixing and there added facilities