In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Treatment in India
In vitro fertilization also known as IVF is basically a set of procedure which is used for helping with fertility problems and conception of a child.
During the process of IVF, mature eggs are retrieved from the ovaries and then fertilized by the sperm in lab environment. Then the eggs that have fertilized are transferred to the uterus. One full cycle of IVF takes 3 weeks to complete successfully. In certain cases the three weeks steps are divided into parts and performed at regular intervals which can extend the overall time of the process.
IVF treatment is considered as one of the most effective forms of assisted reproductive technology. The procedure can be done in two ways- 1st is that you can use your own eggs and your partners sperms, or the 2nd procedure is that you can obtain eggs, sperm or embryos from a second person who can be a known or even an anonymous donor.
The chances of having a baby with the help of IVF treatment depends on certain factors such as the cause of infertility and age.
When do you need to opt for IVF Treatment?
In Vitro Fertilization is the best treatment for infertility and genetic problems. It is the most preferred option to treat infertility causes in women who are above the age of 40. IVF is also a possibility in the case of certain health conditions such as –
- Damage or Blockage in Fallopian Tube – because of damage or blockage in the fallopian tubes it becomes difficult for an egg to fertilize or for an embryo to move to the uterus.
- Ovulation Disorders – With problems such as irregular or absent ovulation, fewer eggs are produced for fertilization.
- Endometriosis – This condition refers to the outside growth and implant of the uterine tissue from the uterus. This affects the normal functioning of ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes.
- Uterine Fibroids – Fibroids are form of benign tumors formed in the wall of the uterus and are mostly found in the women who are in their 30s and 40s. Fibroids restrict the implantation of the fertilized egg.
- Previous tubal removal or sterilization – If you have undergone tubal ligation which is a process in which the fallopian tubes are cut and blocked to prevent pregnancy, and still you wish to conceive then IVF is the best alternative.
- Impaired sperm production – Reasons such as below average count of sperm concentration, poor mobility, or abnormalities in the characteristics of sperms can make it impossible for sperm to fertilize the egg. If any such abnormalities are found in the semen then the person should be referred to some specialist who can decide if the problems are related to some other underlying health issues.
- Unexplained Infertility – In this case the doctors fail to find any cause of infertility at all despite their constant evaluation against all common causes.
- Genetic Disorder – If one or both the partners are carrying some genetic disorder which they can pass on to their off-spring then they are considered for the preimplantation genetic testing. This procedure involves the IVF treatment.
- Fertility preservation for cancer or some other health conditions – If the person is suffering from cancer then all the radiation and chemotherapy can damage the fertility, so the option of IVF for fertility preservation is considered. Women can have her eggs harvested from the ovaries which are stored in a frozen temperature and can be used in future.
How to prepare for the IVF Treatment?
When selecting an ideal in vitro fertilization clinic, it is important to keep in mind that the success rate of any particular clinic depends on various factors, such as treatment approach, treatment population, majority age group of patients and medical issues. It is recommended that the person should ask for detailed information of the clinic, their procedure and cost.
Before the IVF procedure starts, using the eggs and sperms, the couples need to go through various types of screening tests such as -
Ovarian Reserve Testing – This test is conducted to determine the quality and quantity of the eggs produced. It also checks the concentration of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), estrogen and anti-mullerian hormone presence in the blood during the initial days of menstrual cycle. These test results are analyzed along with the ultrasound of the ovaries and can further predict that how well the ovaries will respond to the fertility treatment.
Semen Analysis – It is an important test and is mostly done at the initial stage of fertility evaluation. But, if the semen test is not done at the time then it is conducted right before the start of the IVF treatment.
Infectious Disease Screening – The couples are screened for various types of infectious diseases including HIV.
Mock Embryo Transfer – This practice embryo transfer is done to analyze the depth of the uterine cavity and to deduce a technique that will most likely be successful in placing the embryo in the uterus.
Uterine Exam – The doctor examines the inside lining of the uterus before starting with the IVF procedure. This test involves sonohysterography in which a fluid is injected into the uterus through the cervix and an ultrasound is performed to generate clear image of the uterine cavity. Doctor can also perform a hysteroscopy in which the insides of the uterus are visualized through inserting a flexible hysteroscope through the vagina and cervix.
Steps During the Procedure
Ovulation Induction -
If the procedure includes the involvement of your own eggs then you will be induced with synthetic hormones at the beginning of the cycle that stimulates the ovaries for producing multiple eggs. The need to produce multiple eggs is that some eggs are unable to fertilize or develop normally after fertilization; hence, multiple eggs increase the chances of successful fertilization procedure.
Egg Retrieval -
This procedure is conducted in the clinic after 34 to 36 hours after final injection and before the time of ovulation.
- During the egg retrieval the patient is kept under sedatives and is administered with pain medications.
The most commonly used egg retrieval method is Transvaginal ultrasound aspiration. This procedure is conducted by inserting an ultrasound probe into the vagina to identify follicles. In the next step a thin needle is inserted through the vagina with the help of the ultrasound guide to go up to the follicles to extract the eggs.
- If any complications are experienced during the egg retrieval process using the transvaginal ultrasound then an abdominal ultrasound is used instead to guide the needle.
- The eggs are retrieved from the follicles with the help of a needle that is connected to the suction device.
- Once the egg retrieval procedure is done the patient might experience cramps or a strange feeling of fullness or pressure.
Sperm Retrieval -
If the partner’s sperms are being used during the IVF treatment then a sample of semen is required at the clinic on the day of egg retrieval. The semen sample can be either acquired naturally through masturbation or clinically with the help of surgical procedure known as testicular aspiration.
Fertilization procedure is conducted through two common methods –
- Conventional Insemination – The matured eggs and healthy sperms are mixed and incubated for a time span of overnight.
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) – This method is chosen by the doctor when the quality or quantity of the semen is not appropriate and the other fertilization methods have failed. In ICSI, the healthy sperm is directly induced into the matured eggs to increase the chances of successful fertilization.
Embryo Transfer -
The embryo transfer procedure is performed at the clinic and takes place somewhere after 2 to 5 days of the egg retrieval
- The patient is induced with mild sedative, even though the procedure is comparatively painless.
- During the procedure a thin, flexible tube known as catheter is inserted into the vagina through the cervix.
- A syringe contained with one or more embryos is placed at the end of the catheter.
- The syringe is used for placing the embryos in the uterus.
After The Procedure
Once the entire procedure has been completed, the person can resume with a normal life. However there are some side effects to the procedure such as –
Discharge of small amount of bloody or clear fluid
Slight breast tenderness
Cost of IVF Treatment in India
The best and most affordable IVF treatment is available in India, and this is the reason why most of the couples from around the world flock to India when it comes to getting one of the best In Vitro Fertilization treatments. The average cost of IVF in India is USD 3000 for one cycle which can go up to USD 4500, depending on various factors such as- Location, Age, Sperm donor/Egg costs and the cost of frozen embryos.
Best Doctors for IVF Surgery in India
M.B.B.S. , M.S.(SURGERY), M.CH.(UROLOGY), FELLOW ACADEMY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES(FAMS), DOCTOR OF SCIENCE(D.SC) - PERFORMED 30,000 OPERATIONS FOR VARIOUS UROLOGICAL DISEASES OVER LAST 40 YEARS | AWARDED PADMA SHRI BY THE GOVERNMENT OF INDIA AND DR. B.C.ROY NATIONAL AWARD
Dr. N.P. Gupta joined as Chairman, Academics and Research Division Urology in year 2010. After doing specialization in Urology, he joined All India Institute of Medical sciences (AIIMS) as faculty in 1979 and rose to the position of Professor and Head of Department (1998-2010). During his distinguished career of 45 years in the field of Urology, Dr Gupta contributed immensely to the growth of the sciences of Urology both at National and International Level. Read More….
MBBS, M.S. (GENERAL SURGERY), DNB (UROLOGY), ADVANCED FELLOWSHIP IN ENDOUROLOGY AND ROBOTIC SURGERY, HIFU FOR PROSTATE CANCER - MBBS, M.S. (GENERAL SURGERY), DNB (UROLOGY) | ADVANCED FELLOWSHIP IN ENDOUROLOGY AND ROBOTIC SURGERY | HIFU FOR PROSTATE CANCER
Dr. Ashish Sabharwal is one of the best urologists in Delhi-NCR with two decades of experience. His expertise includes prostate cancer, kidney cancer, robotic surgery, erectile dysfunction, penile implants, enlarged prostrate (BPH), and kidney stones. He has done his Advanced Fellowship in Endourology and Robotic Surgery from the University of Miami, USA. Dr. Ashish’s philosophy on patient care is – Availability and scientific treatment. He is known to be friendly, caring, and a good listener. In his free time, the doctor loves to watch TV. Read More…..
MBBS, MD (GOLD MEDALIST) - OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY, ONE-YEAR CLINICAL FELLOWSHIP IN REPRODUCTIVE BIOLOGY , TWO YEARS MASTERS IN CLINICAL EMBRYOLOGY & ANDROLOGY - 39 YEARS EXPERIENCE OVERALL (37 YEARS AS SPECIALIST) | MD, FRCOG (UK-HON), MSC (USA), FCPS, FICOG, MEDICAL DIRECTOR, BLOOM IVF GROUP | GYNECOLOGIST | INFERTILITY SPECIALIST | OBSTETRICIAN
Dr Hrishikesh D. Pai is one of the country’s leading gynecologist. His preeminence in the field of Gynecology had enabled him to achieve the premier position as the Past Secretary General of the Federation of Obstetric and Gynecological Societies of India (FOGSI) which is one of the largest organization of professional doctors in the country consisting of 33,000 Gynecologists. Read More….
MBBS, MASTER OF SURGERY (MS) – GENERAL SURGERY, MASTER OF CHIRURGIE (M.CH.)– UROLOGY, FELLOWSHIP IN RECONSTRUCTIVE UROLOGY, BELGRADE (SERBIA) - 17 YEARS EXPERIENCE OVERALL (12 YEARS AS SPECIALIST) | UROLOGIST, ANDROLOGIST, UROLOGICAL SURGEON
Dr. Gautam Banga is one of the Renowned Reconstructive and Microsurgeons whose patients have ranged from various countries. He is Certified in Urology and one of the Andrologists in North India for the Past 12 Years. Expert in Urethra, Penile surgery, Cosmetic urology, Penile augmentation Surgeries (Phalloplasty), Male Erectile and Sexual problems. Read more….