- Faculty member in CTVS department of AIIMS, New Delhi and left as Additional Professor. Set up the Paediatric cardiac program there and was involved in the training of several cardiac surgeons.
- Secured National Merit Scholarship for the year 1971 - 1972 for meritorious performance in the Indian School Certificate examination.
- Awarded Ganpatrao Chittre Scholarship for securing second rank in the Inter-Science examination of the Bombay University in April, 1972.
- Awarded Institute Gold Medal for Best Graduate of the year at the MBBS examination in Dec.1977.
- Secured following awards in All India Institute of Medical Sciences between 1973 and1977.
- Sardari Lal Kalra Gold Medal for proficiency in Microbiology in May 1976.
Institute Merit Scholarship.
- Sorel Catherine Frieman Prize for proficiency in Paediatrics in Dec.1977.
- Pfizer Postgraduate Medical award, Gold Medal and Scroll of Honour in 1979.
- Hira Lal Gold Medal for being the best postgraduate in General Surgery in Dec.1981.
- Selected on merit amongst worldwide applicants to attend a workshop on Basic aspects of Cardiac Surgery organized by the International School of Medical Sciences, Ettore Majorana, in Erice, Italy in March, 1983.
- Recommended for honours at the M.Ch. examination in Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery held in Dec. 1984.
- Awarded the Doppler award for best paper at the Sixth International Symposium on
- Echocardiography in Cardiac Surgery, held in Washington D.C. in Nov.1994.
- Awarded a Citation and Certificate of Appreciation for distinguished service and outstanding contribution to EHIRC " Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, Honourable President of India" on December 13th, 2002, New Delhi, INDIA.
- Awarded and delivered the Dr. Armida Fernandez oration on 14th August 2005 at Mumbai.
- Awarded the Distinguished Service Award for outstanding contribution in the field of Clinical & Preventive Cardiology in the world by World Congress on Clinical & Preventive Cardiology (WCCPC 2006) in September 22nd 24th, 2006, Mount Abu, Rajasthan, INDIA .
- Awarded Certificate of "Appreciation for the selfless services rendered" by the Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee at Rajiv Bhavan, on December 9th 2006, New Delhi, INDIA.
- Awarded Certificate of Appreciation for the significant contribution at "The 16th Asian Pacific Congress of Cardiology" in December 13-16, 2007, Taipei, TAIWAN.
- Awarded the Paul Harris Fellow "in appreciation of tangible and significant assistance given for the furtherance of better understanding and friendly relations among peoples of the world" by "The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International" on 23rd Feb 2008, New Delhi (INDIA).
- Awarded "Dynamic Indian of the Millennium" award by the KG Foundation, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu in August, 2009
- Awarded Sadasivan Oration at the 58th Annual Conference of the Indian Association of
- Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons held in Kolkata, Feb 2012
- Associate Professor (CTVS) - All India Institute of Medical Sciences,1990-95.
- Assistant Professor(CTVS) - All India Institute of Medical Sciences,1985-90.
- M.B.B.S. All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi, 1978
- M.S. (Gen. Surgery ) All India Institute of Medical Sciences , 1981
- M.Ch. (CTVS) All India Institute of Medical Sciences , 1984
- Fellowship( Neonatal cardiac surgery) Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne ,1989.
- His interests include, surgical treatment of all forms of congenital heart disease in newborns to adults, including simple or complex.
- Expertise in surgery for complex transpositions, pulmonary hypertension late presenting CHD and complex neonatal surgery.
Dr. Krishna S Iyer is is Executive Director in Paediatric Cardiac Surgery and is one of India's most experienced pediatric cardiac surgeons, recognised for his clinical expertise and involvement with cardiac care for children in India and other developing nations.
After his medical training he joined the faculty of cardiac surgery department of AIIMS, New Delhi. He then trained in infant cardiac surgery in Australia and then established neonatal cardiac surgery at AIIMS.
Dr. Iyer began the first dedicated pediatric cardiac care program in North India at EHIRC ( now FEHI ) in 1995. Under his guidance, this pediatric cardiac program has become the benchmark for cardiac care for children in India and its South East Asian neighbours. Dr. Iyer has operated on more than 14,000 patients with congenital heart diseases from all parts of India and International patients from over 15 countries. He has performed the first successful rapid two stage arterial switch and double-switch operation in India.
He has more than hundred research publications in national and international journals and travels extensively to cities across India and abroad to deliver lectures.
He has been the Founder President of Asia-Pacific Pediatric Cardiac Society, Society of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgeons and President of Pediatric Cardiac Society of India.